A printer friendly version of the Frequently Asked Questions on Requirements for Refresher Programs, Extensive Orientations and Nursing Academic Courses and a Checklist for Reactivating Your Nursing License is included with the LVN - Six Month Temporary Permit and the RN - Six Month Temporary Permit applications.
- Where may I complete the clinical hours? May I do the 80 hours in a school setting, home health care, hospice care, a physician’s office, or must the hours be completed in an acute care facility?
- What should I look for in a preceptor?
- I am having difficulty finding a facility in which to complete the clinical component. Can the BON help me?
- I live in a rural area and there are no courses in my area. What are my options?
- Do I have to complete all 80 hours in one block of time, such as a two-week period, or may I do 10 hours per week for eight weeks or 20 hours per week for four weeks?
- May I administer medications or do I observe a currently licensed nurse administer medications?
- May I document in the medical record or do I observe a currently licensed nurse document?
- How do I sign my name?
- May I be paid as a licensed nurse during the 80 hours of clinical learning experiences?
- Do I submit my CEUs and fee now or with the license renewal? What is the process?
- I completed a nursing educational program and never passed NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN. What type of refresher program do I need to complete?
Nurses Endorsing into Texas from another State
- In what order do I complete the forms? Which comes first, endorsement or temporary permit?
- What is the time frame for the endorsement process after I complete the refresher/re-entry course?
Chief Nursing Officers (CNO)/Directors of Nursing (DON)
- Am I obligated to accept nurses for the 80 hours of clinical learning experiences?
- My facility does not have a structured course in place, how do I ensure that I am providing the essential elements of the course?
- We will have individuals complete the clinical component of the refresher/re-entry course in our hospital. Do we keep them with the same preceptor the entire 80 hours or can we assign them to different preceptors on different days?
Providers of Refresher Programs, Extensive Orientations or Academic Nursing Courses
- In light of the new rule revisions, when is the deadline for making changes to our program, orientation or academic nursing courses?